Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fairy kei krafts...

 Being a lover of pastels and 80's-childhood evocation, I'm a huge fan of fairy kei style! So since I was in Michael's craft store anyway for Sprout's Halloween costume parts, I checked out the polymer clay. Four packs for $6?? Hellzyeah! (They're usually $2-$3 each there.) I ended up with pale blue, mint, lavender, and pink plus a pack of "cookie cutters" that were the perfect size. Here's a sampling of what I've made so far:
 
 


 
And...successful polymer clay iciiiiiiiiing! Yes. Finally. To make icing, you mix Liquid Sculpey with tiny bits of the clay you want to color the icing. It takes awhile and I guess I never had the patience to stir it long enough. Voila, spreadable clay. It's messy though- stringy, sticky and REALLY hard to clean up (hence the cardboard backdrop to the pic above LOL) Also, I've only been successful at *white* icing. I tried with "chocolate" brown and no joy yet. It just won't get to the right consistency. The icing scribbles are puffy paint (again, helloooo 80's!) and the sprinkles and stars are more clay.
 
~~The top piece has become a pendant and the bottom two are rings~~

No comments:

Post a Comment