Sunday, May 27, 2012

Revlon Mint Gelato polish, hmmm...

The hmmm isn't because this is a new thing for me. I used scented polish all the time in the 90's. But I'm not sure I love it now. In fairness, this one's scent reminds me of that time and so I'm sort of judging based on that. But it's REALLY close to my HG light-turquoise, Essie Turquoise & Caicos, which I've wanted a better formula version of. Zoya Wednesday has called to me but my Ulta is 30min and a long, annoying road away. (Also, I'm not keen on ordering one polish at a time from Zoya online and it's the only color I want right now.) From studying online pics, I can say that one could do a lot worse than Mint Gelato as a dupe for Wednesday...


This is three coats of Revlon Mint Gelato on my ring finger and three of Essie T&C on the pinky. (The pointer only has two coats of MG since I was impatient to get a comparison pic.) The differnce I see here is comparable to the difference I see in others' pics comparing T&C to Zoya Wednesday. Honestly though, the Revlon formula isn't really better than the Essie:-( Still needs four coats to eleviate uneven sheerness. Oh well. I'll probably hit the easy-to-get-to Ulta when I go to TX next month and get Wednesday since, generally, Zoya's creams have a great formula.
Now the Revlon scent...I think scented polish is a very fun novelty and this collection is very appealing with it's "sweet pastry shop" theme. (Pics of multi-colored macorons on the display? HellzyeahIwant.) (The scratch and sniff stickers on the bottles were all intact when Sprout and I went to Walgreens which was nice. They're usually all scratched out by the time I find them. So we got to preview the scents. Sprout approved Mint Gelato and I found it ok. The lemon and strawberry were WONDERFUL, but I don't need those colors.) The scent lasts several days on the nail and only gets a wee bit fainter with time. It comes through topcoat and cuticle butter and everything else!
Here's an unfocused but brighter pic...


 I wish this smelled like a creamy mint candy but, it smells like creamy mint *chocolate*. Which is nice, but reminds me of Bonne Bell Mint Choco-ship lip balm from the late 90's and that's not a very appealing time for me to remember. But oh well! It's still fun and a very beautiful color.  

No comments:

Post a Comment